Thread: All OAP expats can claim £200 winter fuel payout

All OAP expats can claim £200 winter fuel payout

TAXPAYERS are to be squeezed for tens of millions more in winter fuel cash — for OAPs who have not lived in the UK for decades.
    A Strasbourg ruling means the Government must pay the annual £200 to up to 444,000 expat pensioners in warm countries and tax havens across Europe.

Currently, only 73,000 OAPs living abroad get it, making a bill of £15million — but if they all claim it this could soar to £90 MILLION.

The blow comes after an ageing Brit living in low-tax Switzerland since 1988 won a landmark case against the Government last month.

Previously, the Department of Work and Pensions only had to give the cash to Brits living abroad if they became OAPs while living in the UK.

But the ruling means eligibility must now be extended to ALL elderly Brits living on the Continent — no matter when they hit pensionable age or how long they have been dodging UK taxes.

Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith last night vowed to create a rule on eligibility by temperature, saying: “We will fight these ridiculous EU rules. It is ludicrous we could have to pay more pensioners living in hot countries.”

The DWP confirmed: “It is now possible people living in the European Economic Area and Switzerland may be entitled to Winter Fuel Payment.”

Any household with someone who gets a pension qualifies for the £200. Those with someone over 80 get £300.

The only way to fight these ridiculous rules is to get out, we have too many envious jealous enemies in the EU to to win any debate to renege on the stupid laws and rules set by Brussels .!!!Bill...

Agreed bill
    sandy

My cousin moved to Aus, when he was 16 he is now 66 and on his 60th birthday he was sent a form to claim this money. He didn't but how many have.

another typically stupid ruling by the EU, about time UK pulled the plug and did their own thing,

But the same EU agreed with the UK government that an expat living outside the EU is not allowed any increases to their age pension irrespective whether or not they paid their dues, however the UK government can pay out Billions to illegal redfugees who have contributed nothing and get everything supplied.

It a case that defies logic
    Al

it,s not as if they are going to return to the country, it should not be paid, to anybody living outside the U.K.

Hi Mate,
    I have just been reading old post and looked at yours in 2008. Can you tell me did you know then if so if you put a bet on it you would be a millionaire. Your wish has come through 7 years later well done. These are the stupid EU rulings that need to be abolished

Benny

I've been living abroad for over 55 years, here and there but now for many years in France. At 77 I am not an Old Age Pensioner as nobody pays me a pension. I have a British passport but am part of the French Social Security system. I'm not allowed to vote anywhere. My grandson is French nationality as through some obscure law somewhere he cannot become British (his father is British like me). The British government certainly doesn't pay me any fuel allowance or any other allowance for that matter. If Brexit goes through I'll possibly get kicked out; to go where? I'm no fan of Brussels or any government for that matter. The basic idea of a European Union is not wrong, but like anything run by bureacrats or politicians it's a shambles. I wish you luck with your Brexit but from what I read yesterday the United Kingdom is abot to become the most populated country in Europe. The first Census in 1801 revealed that the population of Great Britain was 10.5 million. Now that is my idea of a country worth living in.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Boyle View Post
    Hi Mate,
    I have just been reading old post and looked at yours in 2008. Can you tell me did you know then if so if you put a bet on it you would be a millionaire. Your wish has come through 7 years later well done. These are the stupid EU rulings that need to be abolished

Benny
    Hi Benny
    Sent PM to you
    Joe