Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Japanese

All the books mentioned are a good read "if" you want to read about the atrocities commited by the japanese.
    I don't think you could ever understand their mentality for cruelty.
    The sad part is they still refuse to admit to their atrocities, just a case of rewrite the history books and delete anything which shows them to be cruel and sadistic
    Al

My late father was a POW under them in Changi for 5 years,and right up to his death refused to talk about them,other than with venom.

"The Forgotten Highlander".. think i read that one as well.. if it is what i think it is .. it was a very good read too.. the thing about Japanese Atrocities is the Germans got most of the "BLAME" and not much was known about what the Japanese did.. some reason it was swept under the rug in a way.. they did their own horrible medical experiments as well under Unit 731 which was o no where as well publisized as the Nazis
    Chuck

The Japs have just recently, two weeks ago, offered an apology to those Canadians captured in Hong Kong on Christmas Day 1941. I have no idea how many are still with us however, one 87 year old on national news TV told the Japs where to stick it, and the deeper the better. Thankfully we will never understand how much we owe to these Veterans.

Bob Little
    God Bless "The Watch" Now And Forever

agreed Bob.. Thank God they did what they did
    Chuck

On page 1 and 2 of the 'Forgotten Highlander' Alistair writes,

"My story may be remarkable but for over sixty years I have remained silent about my sufferings at the hands of the Japanese. So many of us former prisoners of war did, and all for the same reasons. We did not wish to upset our wives and families, and ourselves, with unsettling tales of unimaginable torments. The memories that made us dread the nightmares which came with sleep were just too horrific. And on our liberation we all signed undertakins to the British government that we would not talk about the war crimes we witnessed or reveal what we saw in the atomic wasteland of Nagasaki.

Now I am breaking my silence to bear witness to the systematic torture and murder of tens of thousands of allied prisoners. After the death of my wife, Mary, I wrote down a personal record of everything that happened to me as a prisoner. It was a distressing experience and at times writing this book has also been painful.

My business with Japan is unfinished, however, and will remain so until the Japanese government fully accepts its guilt and tells its people what was done in their name."

Alistair must have been strong to write this book and you have to be strong to read it. It is worthy of a place in your book shelf.

I will never trust the Japs or the Grmans,

Along with THE NAKED ISLAND I have another called SLAVES OF THE SONS OF HEAVEN by R.H. Whtecross which is about the Australian Forces fighting against the Japs and their time in PW Camps. There is one note in the appendix:- 1939-1945 WAR, all Australian enlistments except prosoiners of war Japanese 967,494; total deaths 29,999 % of death rate 3.4. All Australian captured by Japanese 22,176; total deaths 7,829 % 35.3.
    When I was posted with the RCMP in Newfoundland, the wife of our main Crown Attorney was born in Singapore but was sent to relatives in England before the Japs arrived. Both her mum & dad were taken by the Japs and died at Changi. She claimed that her Dad had been beheaded because he held some type of political position.
    There is a famous or infamous photo apparently obtained from the body of a dead Jap, showing an Australian Soldier tied up and blindfolded awaiting the sword of his Jap executioner. For many years it was believed to be the execution of F/Lieut. William Ellis NEWTON of the R.A.A.F. at
    Salamaua Isthmus, New Guinea. After an investigation and showing the picture to Newton's mother, it was proved to be an Australian Soldier. I do have a copy of the photo here and when I find it, I'll post it if anyone is interested. F/Lieut. Newton was awarded the Victoria Cross for his actions prior to his execution.

LEST WE FORGET

Bob Little

Bob,

If it is the photo I am thinking about then the victim was Len Siffleet, an Australian special operations sergeant.

The photo was found by American troops in 1944 and positively identified as Siffleet in 1945.

I'm still searching my office here however, no luck as yet. I think it appeared in LIFE MAGAZINE shortly after the war ended.
    Just found it in THE BEST OF LIFE in 1973. I'll try to post it.

Bob Little

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast