Page 92 of 138 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Watch pictures from my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmarsden View Post
    1st Bn Aldershot 1913, think I may have posted a coloured version of this card a while back.
    This one postmaked Oct 1914.
    Hi Ron,
    I believe this photo shows members of 'A'Company of the 1st Bn. The Private second from left in the front rank is William Carr, from Perth. He was one of only two men in the battalion to be a holder of the Delhi Durbar Medal. He joined up in 1895, served with the 1st Bn in South Africa and had been a member of the Regimental Police. He left the army after the Boer War, but re joined the BW in 1904, he was posted to the 2nd Bn in India and was posted home to the 1st Bn in 1912. His name is included in the Adjutants as serving in A Company. He served with the battalion in France until he was wounded in the Neck and thighs by a bomb blast in August 1916. He later went to the 3rd Bn and then was transferred to the Labour Corps. He returned to Perth after the war. He is buried at Wellshill Cemetery with his wife and one of his sons.
    If you ever find another copy of this card, would you let me know as I have his medals and the only image I have of him is a poor grainy photograph copied from the Peoples Journal Newspapers?
    Regards,
    Stewart

Hi Stewart
    Send me a PM with your address will gladly let you have this one.
    Ron

Hi Ron,
    That is very kind of you. I did see one like this on ebay before Christmas, but was a bit side tracked and forgot to watch it! By the time I remembered about it, the auction must have finished. As a way of thanking you, I will look through my small collection of cards and send you one of mine. I have a few studio portrait type affairs from the great war period as well as a few of the mass produced type cards.
    All the best,
    Stewart

Thanks Ron

I have continued searching and have found the following image in the Royal Collection.

The Hon Captain George Henry Essex Grant.jpg

However it states, Colonel Grant, 42nd Highlanders.

There wasn't a Colonel Grant listed in the Medal Roll for the 42nd in the Crimea, in fact the only officer in the 42nd with the name of GRANT I believe, was The Honourable Captain George Henry Essex Grant, who I believe this is. (His photograph was listed as such within the Roger Fenton photographic series of 'Life in the Crimea' 1854-55).

I have contacted the Curator of the Royal Collection Photographic archive and await their response.

Regards

John

8th Battalion N.C.O.s. I have the names and position in photo of all of these men if anyone wants to enquire.

Wonderful images Ronmarsden very interesting to see. I was wondering if you have any images for 'D' Company of the 1st Bn The Black Watch from <1914 up to Oct 1915.. To explain my wife's great uncle J Montague 1172 served in this company and although we have managed to find out quite a bit the family don't have any photographs. Hope you can help...

Hi Mark, sorry I do not have anything that specifically mentions D Coy but there are a few group photos 1st Bn from Aldershot 1913/4 in the thread.
    Ron.

Thanks I have those, plus some others on parade mostly.. please find on I have not sure if you have posted previously though.
    Regards
    Markw1st Battalion The Black Watch Aldershot August 1914.jpg

Thanks for posting that picture Mark can I ask where it is from? Great to see the six cyclists with their rifles mounted on the bike frames.
    Ron.

Hello Ron. Re the 8th Battalion NCOs photoIs Sgt David Forsyth among these men? Thanks max

Page 92 of 138 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast