Page 87 of 147 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Watch pictures from my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmarsden View Post
    Mike, I have visited the gallery several times since the refurbishment well worth the visit if anyone has not seen it. I was very impressed with the display cases and the information supplied. Sgt. Gardners case has the large kukri knife he brought home, my father brought back a small kukri from his time in Burma which I still have.
    Ron.
    Ron,

My uncle also brought back a kukri from Burma. He served with Merrill's Marauders in the U.S. Army.

Mike

My father served in 2nd Buffs 36th Indian Div 14th Army he fought in actions at Irrawaddy,Yanbo,Mabein and Bah Jan 45.
    Crossed the Shweli river in inflatables Feb 45, actions at Mong Mit and Mong Long in March. Actions at Myamyo, Mandalay and Meklita in April.
    Battalion down to 90 effectives my father suffering from dysentry,malaria and shrapnel wound to left hand was flown out to Imphal.
    Imphal to Poona in hospital train 12 days journey, Poona hospital 20 days, transfered to Bombay for convalesence 30 days.
    Shipped to Singapore, then to Cape Town, finally reaching Portsmouth April 1946.
    Here is the Kukri, the leather rotted off the sheath while in the jungle. My father used it for 20 years to dig up potatoes in the garden.

Montrose photographer, written on the reverse 7 please?

Quote Originally Posted by ronmarsden View Post
    My father served in 2nd Buffs 36th Indian Div 14th Army he fought in actions at Irrawaddy,Yanbo,Mabein and Bah Jan 45.
    Crossed the Shweli river in inflatables Feb 45, actions at Mong Mit and Mong Long in March. Actions at Myamyo, Mandalay and Meklita in April.
    Battalion down to 90 effectives my father suffering from dysentry,malaria and shrapnel wound to left hand was flown out to Imphal.
    Imphal to Poona in hospital train 12 days journey, Poona hospital 20 days, transfered to Bombay for convalesence 30 days.
    Shipped to Singapore, then to Cape Town, finally reaching Portsmouth April 1946.
    Here is the Kukri, the leather rotted off the sheath while in the jungle. My father used it for 20 years to dig up potatoes in the garden.
    Fascinating, Ron. The kukri is definitely a treasure.

My uncle suffered from the aftermath of malaria for years afterward. His unit was surrounded by the Japanese for 14 days surviving only as a result of airdrops. Afterwards, he spent time in hospital at Dehra Dun. While hospitalized, there is a good possibility that he met my friend David Murray of the 1st Cameron Highlanders who was also at the same hospital. David described to me a Merrill's Marauder sergeant whose physical appearance and mannerisms were a perfect fit to my uncle's. My uncle died in 1991, so there is no way to confirm this story. Yet, stranger things have happened.

Mike

Postcard sent from Nigg 27th July 1915.
    The photo vingette shows the fleet leaving Cromarty Firth, this photo is taken from a book published in 1900 by John Bain.
    The card probably on sale to the men at Nigg Camp, message reads, "Thank you very much my good love to all of you A.Wright. "
    Below the card I have placed my example of the celuloid badge shown the picture.

I have a photo of my Grandfather (also 1/7th Btn) with the same collar badges. As a newcomer to the forum can you confirm if this is the TA Black Watch Dress Uniform ? He also has a swagger stick. What is the significance of the 6VBRH collar badges ? Thank you.

Hi LotScot, what number post are you referring to? Can you post the photo of your Grandfather?
    Regards Ron.

Hi Ron, Sorry I don't have the original post but I am sure you will be able to help me. Regards Ian

Grandad Barclay in Piper's uniform.jpg

Ian, your Grandfather is wearing the uniform of the 7th (Fife) Battalion Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) (TF).
    It was called the Territorial Force up untill the 1920s when the name changed to Territorial Army.
    The Thane of Fife collar badges he is wearing were previously worn by the 6th (Fifeshire) Volunteer Bn Black Watch 1887-1908.
    It was only in the 1920s when the 6th and 7th (TF) Bns were merged that they wore the more familiar St Andrews collars.
    I would guess this photo was taken just before WW1.

See post no 445 in my badge thread for description of collar badges.
    Regards Ron.
    Last edited by ronmarsden; 18th November 2014 at 11:45.

Hello Ron, Thank you very much indeed for this valuable information. I will add it directly into the detailed history I have gathered on my Grandfather. I feel sure photo was taken around the time they were at Burntisland/Kinghorn mobilised for Coastal Defence in 1914 prior to being sent to Bedford and then to Boulogne 2/5/15.

I will view your post 445 tomorrow.
    Best regards Ian