Page 82 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Watch pictures from my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by myway View Post
    Ron ,what is the significance of the lanyard?. Bill...
    It is all about The Award of the Croix De Guerre to the 6th Battalion.

The award was commemorated by the following dress Regulations: The C de G flash was worn on both sleeves. A lanyard in the colours of the C de G was worn over the left shoulder (purchased by the Battalion) and the Colours display the insignia of the C de G.

Mike, have just studied the photo under an eyeglass the pipers are wearing badger headed sporrans also their plaid brooches are not Black Watch pattern. The hackles seem to have two sections to them!
    Will do close up scans tomorrow.
    Ron.

Close up of pipers.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmarsden View Post
    Close up of pipers.
    Ron,

I knew the Pipers and Bandsmen of the 1st A&SH wore red hackles in foreign service helmets, but I was unaware that all ranks did so as displayed in your photo. The pipers' plaid brooches seem to be the pattern worn by the 91st pre-1881; so, that makes sense. Although not a photo of a Black Watch battalion, this is a very interesting image nonetheless.

Mike

Men of the 8th Bn wearing the thistle arm badge of the 9th Scottish Division.

1st Bn 1914 Aldershot.

Re Post 813 of the Pipers in Pith Helmets and rest of battalion. Apart from the Piper's everyone else is wearing shorts, which is not seen too often in Battalion Group Photo's if the regiment was a highland one. Secondly one of the stand of colours, the Regimental Colour, seems to be a Buff or Yellow colour, so it cannot be a Black Watch Battalion. And lastly. looking at all of the Pipers in a blown up version of the photo, I cannot clearly see any with 3 Drones, when the image is clear all I can make out is a Bass and Tenor Drone. This would suggest an Irish Regiment as Irish Pipes from this period only had the Two Drones. The Plaid brooch is large and does resemble the Tara Brooch as worn by Irish Regiments.

Horsegunner, I can't think of any Irish Rgt that wears badger sporrans, the Connaught Rangers and the Royal Irish Rgt served in India in the 1920s but I think their pipers wore caubeen style hats.
    Ron.

That is a problem I know, but I am a bit light on good photo's of the Piper's of Irish regiments. However if they were Argyll's I would expect to see the battalion in Kilts or at the very least the Drummers and Drum Major in the band would be wearing them. The Argyll's are the only British Army regiment to wear the Badger head sporran at this time. But it's not them because the Pipe Major did not wear one. Both the Pipe Major and Drum Major both wore a unique pattern of sporran, which was not worn by any other member of the Regiment.
    The other strange thing, from a Scottish regimental point of view is the fact that they are wearing leather waist belts and Fly Plaids, but no sword belts. You often see photo's of piper's wearing both waist and sword belts without plaid, but not a plaid without a sword belt. The plaid was another reason, apart from the two droned pipe's which made me think they may be Irish. During the period this photo was taken, Piper's tend to wear Scarf Plaids and only the Drummers wore Fly Plaids. However, Irish Pipers wore and still wear Fly Plaids.
    So I wonder who they are? Could they be a battalion of a Commonwealth regiment?

There are two worth considering, Shanghai Scottish Volunteers or Calcutta Scottish Auxiliary Force India. But don't have picture of their pipers.