Page 77 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Watch pictures from my collection.

Four pictures of the same man with Brechin photographers name on reverse.
    First as a private with his dog, then as a L/Cpl in his marching gear.
    The next one seems to be in his workshop and lastly painting in his studio.
    Anyone know a Brechin artist from WW1?

Standing at ease in the back yard.

Great Wee selection Ron.

Yours Aye
    Tam .
    War does not decide who is right , only who is left.

Tam Drummond
    Former Musician in the 1st Bn The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment )

Hi Ron,
    Post 751 is in fact Perth & District Pipe Band and the photo was taken in July 1914. The band bought the old 5th Vol Bat uniforms when the 5th became a TF battalion.
    Regards

Thanks for the information Horsegunner, I was unsure about my description because of the shape of the cap badge.
    Do you have a picture or description of the cap badge worn by the Perth Band at that time?

Regarding your Jimmy Hume thread, I think you may also be correct about my post no 84 in the Canadian collection being 1st BW.
    looking at the circular arm badge could it be Berlin garrison?
    Regards Ron.

Composite pipes and drums 12 Black Watch men and 8 Seaforth Highlanders.

Last edited by ronmarsden; 27th June 2014 at 07:01.

Ron,

The eight men wth the diced glengarries are Seaforth Highlanders. Notice the scroll under the stag's head.

Any date or place for the photo? Without checking specific references, I believe the 2nd Black Watch and 1st Seaforth temprarily formed a Highland battalion because of heavy losses in Mesopotamia. The locale for this photo, however, appears to be France or UK.

Mike

The photo in post 766 is very interesting. However I do not think it is taken in France as the men are all wearing KD tunics, which were worn in places like India and Mesopotamia. You can tell it is KD as there are no Rifle Patches on the tunic, but they do have pleated pockets. Also the lightness of the colour is a strong indicator.
    I think the man sitting next to the BW Cpl must be the band Drum Major. He appears to be wearing the medal ribbons of the Dehli Durbar and possibly the QSA. The 2nd Bn were at the 1911 Durbar, so it does look very possible that this photo is the combined bands of the 2nd Seaforth and 2nd Royal Highlanders.
    I will dig out the photo's I have of the band to see if we can name the Cpl and Drummie.

Quote Originally Posted by Horsegunner View Post
    The photo in post 766 is very interesting. However I do not think it is taken in France as the men are all wearing KD tunics, which were worn in places like India and Mesopotamia. You can tell it is KD as there are no Rifle Patches on the tunic, but they do have pleated pockets. Also the lightness of the colour is a strong indicator.
    I think the man sitting next to the BW Cpl must be the band Drum Major. He appears to be wearing the medal ribbons of the Dehli Durbar and possibly the QSA. The 2nd Bn were at the 1911 Durbar, so it does look very possible that this photo is the combined bands of the 2nd Seaforth and 2nd Royal Highlanders.
    I will dig out the photo's I have of the band to see if we can name the Cpl and Drummie.
    I think you are right Horsegunner. Those are KD frocks being worn. This does indeed place the locale in the Middle East.

Thanks for the replies Mike & Horsegunner always good to here your comments. I have a larger photo of a composite P&D
    Group will post later today when I get back to my PC.
    Regards Ron.