Page 72 of 141 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122 ... LastLast
Results 711 to 720 of 1407

Thread: Black Watch pictures from my collection.

  1. #711
    Senior Member ronmarsden's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Bucks
    Posts
    2,500
    2nd Bn pipers Aldershot 1884, anyone know the name of the Pipe Major?

  2. #712
    Quote Originally Posted by TamDrummond View Post
    My eyesight must be bad as I see no red ?
    Yours Aye
    Tam .
    The blue collars, for a Royal Regiment, are the clue- together with the rank chevrons and 'gauntlet' cuffs just visible on the sleeves of the outermost, right-hand file (our left).

  3. #713
    Senior Member mike4279's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Stratham, New Hampshire USA
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmarsden View Post
    2nd Bn pipers Aldershot 1884, anyone know the name of the Pipe Major?
    Interestingly, these pipers appear to be in Government tartan kilts and plaids.

    Might there have been a time when the pipers could have paraded in either Royal Stuart or Government tartan?

  4. #714
    Senior Member ronmarsden's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Bucks
    Posts
    2,500
    Mike I wonder if it was peculiar to the 2nd Bn. Here is one taken in Limerick 1890.

  5. #715
    Quote Originally Posted by mike4279 View Post
    Interestingly, these pipers appear to be in Government tartan kilts and plaids.

    Might there have been a time when the pipers could have paraded in either Royal Stuart or Government tartan?
    It appears that for a short period after the union of the 42nd and 73rd in 1881, pipers wore 42nd tartan. I'll find the reference.

  6. #716
    Senior Member mike4279's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Stratham, New Hampshire USA
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmarsden View Post
    Mike I wonder if it was peculiar to the 2nd Bn. Here is one taken in Limerick 1890.
    The pipe ribbons look like Royal Stuart. Looking forward to jf42's reference.

  7. #717
    The reference, such as it is (my apologies) comes from the 'Red Hackle' June 1932. My sketchy note ( I was looking into something else*) is taken from the letters page and reads "BW pipers in BW tartan 1881-1889/90." That's it.

    *There is an interesting series of articles on the 'Dress of the Black Watch' published in the Red Hackle between October 1931 and October 1932- written by Col R.F.H. Wallace.

    P.S. To muddy the water, de Neuville's canvas of Tel-el-kebir shows a 1st Bn piper in Royal Stuart kilt. I believe there are other photos of the 2nd Battalion in Ireland showing pipers in Black Watch tartan. Perhaps this was, briefly, a 2nd battalion custom?
    Last edited by Jf42; 23rd February 2014 at 14:46.

  8. #718
    Senior Member mike4279's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Stratham, New Hampshire USA
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by Jf42 View Post
    The reference, such as it is (my apologies) comes from the 'Red Hackle' June 1932. My sketchy note ( I was looking into something else*) is taken from the letters page and reads "BW pipers in BW tartan 1881-1889/90." That's it.

    *There is an interesting series of articles on the 'Dress of the Black Watch' published in the Red Hackle between October 1931 and October 1932- written by Col R.F.H. Wallace.

    P.S. To muddy the water, de Neuville's canvas of Tel-el-kebir shows a 1st Bn piper in Royal Stuart kilt. I believe there are other photos of the 2nd Battalion in Ireland showing pipers in Black Watch tartan. Perhaps this was, briefly, a 2nd battalion custom?
    While we are conjecturing, maybe the brief use of Government tartan by 2nd Bn pipers was necessitated by shortages of Royal Stuart garments during the period immediately following the conversion of the 73rd to Highland status???

  9. #719
    Senior Member ronmarsden's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Bucks
    Posts
    2,500
    Just to muddy he water further a 2nd Bn Sgt Edinburgh 1895.

  10. #720
    Administrator Chalky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,862
    Quote Originally Posted by Jf42 View Post
    The reference, such as it is (my apologies) comes from the 'Red Hackle' June 1932. My sketchy note ( I was looking into something else*) is taken from the letters page and reads "BW pipers in BW tartan 1881-1889/90." That's it.
    Here is the letter you refer to.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •