Page 38 of 141 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Watch pictures from my collection.

2 B.W. in Palestine checking for contraband. I wonder if that flash on the pugaree is Black Watch tartan?

2BW UNSURE OF DATE?

2BW Piper Boer War period, on a 1908 postcard.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmarsden View Post
    Jack Lindsay M.C. (T.F & T.A); 6th Perthshire Bn; 2nd Lieut 21/6/15; Lieut 1/6/16;
    Wounded 13/11/16; T/Cpt 17/7/17; Missing 22/3/18; Capt 28/7/20;
    From T.A.R.O. Capt 24/8/39. M.C. awarded 4/12/16 for Beaumont Hamel.
    Jack Lindsay was my great uncle. Our family have the letters that he wrote home from his active duty in WW1 in France. We are trying to put them together in a wee book with additional snippets of information, to give copies to other members of the family, lest we forget ...
    I wonder if anyone might be able to help me with our quest for missing bits of information:

- Jack Lindsay was captured and spent from March/April 1918 till the end of WW1 as a POW. We are trying to find out where he was held. The Scotsman newspaper of 17th April 1918 says "Capt. Jack Lindsay, Black Watch, son of the Rev J Lindsay U.F. Church Bathgate, reported on March 30th as missing, is now notified by the Red Cross, South Kensington, as a prisoner of war in Germany and unhurt." However, notes from his sister's diary says "7 July 1918 - Mother rang up to say we’d got a PC from Jack. He is away in the very west of Prussia." However, this could be wrong as someone else spoke of east Prussia. Does anyone know in which POW camp/camps he was held? Presumably it/they may have been the same as other B Company Officers / 51st Division / Highlanders / Black Watch.

- Unfortunately no-one in our family is familiar with army terminology. Would this statement make sense: "Jack received his commission as Lieutenant to the Royal Highlanders, The Black Watch, B Company within the 6th Perthshire Battalion of the 51st Division." Sorry, we are ignorant about the connection between the Royal Highlanders, The Black Watch etc, but are keen to record it correctly for Uncle Jack's sake.

- Finally, Uncle Jack was awarded the Military Cross. We have a old newspaper clipping from the time that says "Lieut. Jack Lindsay, son of Rev J Lindsay and Mrs Lindsay, St John’s Manse, Bathgate, is this week notified officially as having been awarded the Military Cross. The official announcement is as follows: Sec. Lt J Lindsay, Royal Hrs. - For conspicuous gallantry in action. He led his company in the attack with great courage and determination, captured his objective and consolidated the position." Is it possible to find any more detailed information on this particular attack - where it was, what they captured, etc?

Any information or pointers as to where we could make further enquiries would be very gratefully received. I hope that you don't mind my posting here for a personal request, but we are trying to record as accurate a record as possible of our Uncle Jack's life during WW1.

Many thanks, Jane

Wavell with the Queen mum wearing her Black Watch badge.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmarsden View Post
    2BW Piper Boer War period, on a 1908 postcard.
    Ron,

This postcard appears to be displaying a Scots Guards piper. Notice the the sporran with three tassels. Of course, both Scots Guards and BW pipers would be wearing Royal Stuart tratan.

Regards,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Brunton View Post
    Jack Lindsay was my great uncle. Our family have the letters that he wrote home from his active duty in WW1 in France. We are trying to put them together in a wee book with additional snippets of information, to give copies to other members of the family, lest we forget ...
    I wonder if anyone might be able to help me with our quest for missing bits of information:

- Jack Lindsay was captured and spent from March/April 1918 till the end of WW1 as a POW. We are trying to find out where he was held. The Scotsman newspaper of 17th April 1918 says "Capt. Jack Lindsay, Black Watch, son of the Rev J Lindsay U.F. Church Bathgate, reported on March 30th as missing, is now notified by the Red Cross, South Kensington, as a prisoner of war in Germany and unhurt." However, notes from his sister's diary says "7 July 1918 - Mother rang up to say we’d got a PC from Jack. He is away in the very west of Prussia." However, this could be wrong as someone else spoke of east Prussia. Does anyone know in which POW camp/camps he was held? Presumably it/they may have been the same as other B Company Officers / 51st Division / Highlanders / Black Watch.

- Unfortunately no-one in our family is familiar with army terminology. Would this statement make sense: "Jack received his commission as Lieutenant to the Royal Highlanders, The Black Watch, B Company within the 6th Perthshire Battalion of the 51st Division." Sorry, we are ignorant about the connection between the Royal Highlanders, The Black Watch etc, but are keen to record it correctly for Uncle Jack's sake.

- Finally, Uncle Jack was awarded the Military Cross. We have a old newspaper clipping from the time that says "Lieut. Jack Lindsay, son of Rev J Lindsay and Mrs Lindsay, St John’s Manse, Bathgate, is this week notified officially as having been awarded the Military Cross. The official announcement is as follows: Sec. Lt J Lindsay, Royal Hrs. - For conspicuous gallantry in action. He led his company in the attack with great courage and determination, captured his objective and consolidated the position." Is it possible to find any more detailed information on this particular attack - where it was, what they captured, etc?

Any information or pointers as to where we could make further enquiries would be very gratefully received. I hope that you don't mind my posting here for a personal request, but we are trying to record as accurate a record as possible of our Uncle Jack's life during WW1.

Many thanks, Jane
    Jane,

I have found this account concerning Beaumont-Hamel on p. 304 of "The Fifty-First in France" by Robert B. Ross, pub Hodder & Staughton:

"A raid carried out with the characteristic dash of Highlanders served to break the monotony of tiresome days. Officered by Lieutenant Lindsay, who, in appreciation of this highly successful minor engagement, was awarded the Military Cross, the raiding party left the bivouac shortly after the afternoon meal. The weather was somewaht improved, but even then not so desirable as was essential for complete success. At 5:30 the short but intense preliminary bombardment commenced. The whole operation barely lasted thirty minutes from start to finish. At 6 o'clock the signal went up, announcing the return of the raiders. During that time the salient opposite Beaumont-Hamel was penetrated, the assailants remaining unobserved till they were upon the defenders. One post of nine men was wiped out with the exception of a bespectacled Hanoverian called to the colours but two months before. He was very frightened and communicative. He said that his post had detected the approach of the raiders, and thought that the whole British line was advancing to the attack. Most of the Germans in the trench bolted over the parados, but were caught by our barrage and annihilated."

Hope the above helps. You might try contacting Tommy Smyth, Archivist at the Black Watch Museum who may be able to research this further, email: archives@theblackwatch.co.uk.

Regards,
    Mike

Mike,
    Thank you SO much for taking the time to post all that very helpful information. I am very grateful.
    With best wishes,
    Jane

Mike, thanks for that will have to get a new pair of glasses!
    Ron.

2BW guarding a Jeruslaem post office, with a persuader.