Page 36 of 137 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Watch pictures from my collection.

Ron , there is a "war grave" of Paddy the Highland Cyclist Bn dog mascot in the McDonald Park in Arbroath . The HCB were encamped on the park during the early part of 1918 and Paddy the HCB mascot died during January 1918

pat

Pat, thanks for that information perhaps someone will post a photo of the grave one day?
    Have more pics of Oliver to post so keep watching.

Here is a young Highland Cyclist recruit with T/HCB shoulder title.

Ron , yes Brigadier James A. Oliver was from Arbroath and Col George W Dunn also Black Watch of WW2 were family friends and colleagues of my father in Arbroath. Col G W Dunn was for a short time I recall with the Cameron Highlanders but got back to the Black Watch .

There may still be a photo of the gravestone of Paddy the 2/1 HCB dog mascot that died on 28th January 1918 on this site under PAT'S CORNER . One of the HCB soldiers made Paddy a headstone beside the woods at the tented camp in Arbroath before they went off to Ireland .

Camp barber.

Quote Originally Posted by aboode View Post
    #329 Mike4279 - You mention J.M. McDougall as P/M 2nd Bn; I thought he was P/M 1st Bn 1899-1908 or have I got it wrong?
    Aad Boode
    Aad Boode,

I have no specific knowledge of JM McDougall; his name was on the caption I had for picture #329. You will also see the same man in the second picture of post #340. If you have specific info on McDougall as P/M 1BW 1899-1908, then I defer to you and am grateful for the correction. I will send a query on this to Tommy Smyth at the BW Museum who should be able to look it up and will let you know the result.

Regards,
    Mike

Paybook for James Walker signed on in Gibraltar Jan 1892 aged 14.

WW1 officer wearing grenade pouches.

Signature of Charles Melvin V.C. 1917.

With reference to the photo posted on 6.11.11, I am Jack Lindsay's great niece. As you say, he was declared missing. However, after a very anxious wait, his family received news that he was a POW and he was finally repatriated to Scotland on 23/12/18. Like so many, he suffered from witnessing the atrocities of war. He eventually married in 1932 and lived until the age of 75. Our family have recently discovered letters that Jack wrote from the trenches to his teenage sister. We also have his sister's diaries from that time and are trying to piece together information about his experiences during WWI. We were very pleased to see his photo here and to read what you and Tam McCluskey have written. We are total novices concerning the Black Watch and the military. Could you possibly explain what the acronyms stand for, eg (T.F. & T.A.) and T.A.R.O.? Thank you.
    Last edited by Jane Brunton; 22nd April 2012 at 10:55. Reason: for clarification

Hi Jane, nice to hear you are keeping your great uncles memory alive we all owe so much to that generation.
    TF stands for Territorial Force, TA for Territorial Army and TARO Territorial Army reserve officers.
    regards Ron.