Page 83 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Watch pictures from my collection.

Can't wait for the end of this search . I'm now totally confused . Great post

Yours Aye
    Tam .
    War does not decide who is right , only who is left.

Tam Drummond
    Former Musician in the 1st Bn The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment )

Regarding the unknown Pipers, I just found this item online
    https://www.royal-irish.com/artefact...r-head-sporran
    Looks like the photo maybe the Inniskilling Fusiliers circa 1930. It would be great if we could find a photo of them wearing the sporran and also what other kit they wore at the time.
    I noticed that the officers in the photo are all carrying standard Line Regiment pattern swords, where as most regiments with a Scottish connection tend to carry the Basket Hilted Broadsword.
    It's all very interesting stuff and it would be great to get to the bottom of it!
    All the best for now.

You might well be right, looking at the photo again it has the 1930s feel about it.

Here is another photo of a piper I have been trying to identify?

An unidentified officer, there is a signature bottom right which I can't decipher my best guess is Walter Daveysons Stainsgate? Anyone suggest an alternative?

An albumen print carte-de-visite hand painted by 'Low' photographer and miniature painter of Euclid Cresent Dundee.
    Small picture only 2"x 4" inches heavily foxed and with areas of smudging and staining.
    Written on the reverse.
    "Drummer Alexander James Robinson Junior taken July 18th 1869 aged 12 years three months. Dundee Highland Volunteers."
    He is wearing the uniform of the 10th Forfar (Dundee Highland) Rifle Volunteers 1867-1880 as described in Grierson's Scottish Volunteer Force Records.
    Interesting to note is the white material behind the glengarry badge, also the shape of the sporran badge. Have posted close ups but hard to make out detail as the picture is so small.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmarsden View Post
    An unidentified officer, there is a signature bottom right which I can't decipher my best guess is Walter Daveysons Stainsgate? Anyone suggest an alternative?

What about Harrogate at the bottom and then see if you can find someone from there to match the name....
    Arthur Davey and son ..photographers...
    Last edited by Goodoogagirl; 22nd September 2014 at 11:35.

You could well be right Goodaoogirl, Harrogate is not too far from Ripon Camp where many Black Watch soldier's were stationed.
    Last edited by ronmarsden; 24th September 2014 at 06:54.

Quick search threw up Walter Davey and son, Harrogate- not sure what a scottish boy was doing in Yorkshire... But maybe the photographers travelled to do some work or just a one off.

Walter Davey operated from 10 James Street, Harrogate from 1886 until the 1900's

1st Bn India 1920s, three cuff titles R.P. S.P. and G the first is obviously Regimental Police but i'm not sure about the other two?
    The satchel in the foreground has a brass plate attached under an eye-glass I can make out.
    Battalion -------- Black----- or
    Ration -------- Black -----.
    Have posted close up but it is not clear.